How Do You Solve A Problem Like A Tasmanian Devil

Oospie!  Forgot to post yesterday.  And by forgot I mean I didn’t have one single second!  Being back in the thick of school has been intense.  Take yesterday for example, I went to stats class, then went straight to the library to work on stats homework, then went to stats tutorial.  Add it all up – that’s nine straight hours of stats.  Say stats again.

Stats.

Stats with instragram filter:

I had a laptop free day yesterday.  I had to jump on my desktop first thing yesterday morning but after that – no computer!

Before I started my stats marathon I went to my first treatment appointment.  It was a combination of testing range of motion, strengthening exercises, and having the chiropractor push & pull on my hip.

It was a good appointment, I learned a lot, he likes to use diagrams and even busted out the skeleton to talk about my hip.  It’s half physical therapy, half science lesson ;)

My Ride for Heart training will continue as planned.  According to the doctor, the point of this treatment is that we want to continue my regular physical activity without interruption.  He made it clear that rest will not heal this injury.  If anything, rest will weaken the muscles that are actually working properly.  The goal is that I continue my usual activities, but with modifications on my movement.

All of my movements are supposed to be deliberate.  Things like walking, stairs, picking up things off of the floor, sitting down, all need to be adjusted.  What I’ve realized is that this will take time.  I’ll need to slow down.  But I already jam EVERY SECOND of my day full, how can I slow down?  (Thus the title: how do you solve a problem like a tasmanian devil?)

I’m waiting for my Dad to leave a comment reminding me that he’s been telling me to slow down since I was 15 years old.  It’s true.  If efficiency and work output were an olympic sport I’d have approximately five million gold medals and hold the world record.  I should wear a button around on my shirt that says “I get more work done than you.”

But in the words of the ever wise Dr. Phil “how’s that working for you?”

It’s not.  Obviously.  Aside from being stressful, it’s not going to contribute to my rehabilitation whatsoever.  I’m not sure if the doctor saw my efficiency button or what but he specifically told me “do not rush through your exercises.”  Me?  Rush?

In theory, this should be easy right?  Cut down my to do list, schedule less work, meetings, events, etc.

But in practice this has never worked for me before.

HELP?!?!?!?!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to How Do You Solve A Problem Like A Tasmanian Devil

1. We must be twins. I seem to have the same problem with carving down on my schedule. When you find the answer, let me know!

I’ll send you a button ;)

and Lindsay you have kids, I’m still a few years away from le babies … I’m going to be extra doomed aren’t I?

2. Going back to school is rough. I feel like I just get the bare minimum done when school is in session. Good luck with stats. I found the class to be one of my worst as an undergrad, but one of my favorites when I was getting my MBA. I’m such a nerd.

Awesome news that you don’t have to scale back on your exercise. I have no advice on how to slow down. My husband often tells me “just sit down and do nothing” when I’m totally going non-stop. I love your sign idea… can I get one?

then I will pray that I get through this class and actually make it to my MBA haha

sit down and do nothing? I’m fairly certain that would give me a rash ;)

3. Bronwyn says:

Oh summer school, those were the days! So glad I’m not doing that right now… oh wait I’m not quite done school, so maybe it counts?

Man that would be really tough, it sounds like you’re basically re-learning how to move your body in a more ergonomic way. That is going to take some time. Maybe it’s not so much slowing down as focusing whenever you are doing something.

4. Kirsten says:

Don’t be so hard on yourself! Every time you get frustrated about having to slow down, you should use it as an opportunity to give yourself a long, extended, pat on the back!!!

5. About six weeks into treatment with my chiropractor, she told me to discountinue my stretches and exercises because, in her words, “You’re the first a patient who actually DID the exercises as often as I prescribed, and I think it’s too much!” Sometimes hard work really doesn’t pay off ;)

6. Dave Leitch says:

Morgan don’t worry the world isn’t going to end if you don’t post . You don’t have to be sorry!!

7. I am totally the same way with jamming my schedule full. I need to learn to take a break! My plan was to take a long break after my last semester of classes, but than I got a job and started working right away and now I feel crazy busy again already! :)

8. Well it’s a relief that you don’t have to mess with your training. Good luck with trying to slow down. When you figure out how to make that work, let me know ok?

9. Dad says:

I don’t want to disappoint you so…….” Slow down!!!!!!!!!!!”

I was thinking more about ” Take time for ME time”

But either way, stop trying to jam 30 hours of activity into 24 hours. You’ll find you will be happier because of it.

10. Erin says:

I have learned taking on too much really doesnt effect anyone but yourself, you get burnt out and that is the worst feeling ever. After you are burnt out then nothing is getting done . I have had to learn that I cannot do everything I want to unfortunetly because of time, take a step back and look at what time you do have available and what you can fit into that time frame that you love to do. Since your task list gets cut down significently you will feel acomplished and happy. It will be good to start thinking about it before you get into your full time career and you have different stresses that come along with the business world. Take time for yourself :) You will love yourself for it :)