Seek Medical Attention

WOW!!!!!  The grand total of top bids from my auction yesterday was:

$471

Thank you so very much for all of your support.  A few of those dollars is going towards Brad’s fundraising goal since he is also riding.  Once all of the bids come in I’m going to be alllllllmost at that $1000 mark.

Wooohooooooo!

Now that the fundraising is taken care of I’ll be concentrating on the training.

Unfortunately, the fundraising was the easier part.  The training is going to be a little bit difficult.

Yesterday afternoon, as you guys were getting hot and heavy over the auction, I visited the sports doctor.  My sore ankle from the car accident wasn’t really bothering me too much but I kept my appointment anyways because I knew that I should get my hips and knees checked out.

I don’t talk often or in depth about the problems with my knees and hips.  Usually I just roll it all together and say “I’ve got bad joints.”  The reason I haven’t written much about my pain before is that I never really had a diagnosis.  I didn’t know what to tell anyone except that it hurts, a lot.  I experience pain in my left knee and my right hip daily.

I’ve had the knees and hips checked out a bit before by doctors at the clinic.  Last summer my new family doctor did a full examination.  I had a bunch of blood tests and what seemed like a billion X-rays.  Everything came back fine which meant I didn’t have, for example, arthritis, and the X-rays were totally clear.

After all of those tests came back I pretty much gave up on figuring out what was wrong and continued managing my pain daily.

Like I mentioned last week, after telling my family doctor about my training for the Ride for Heart and my sore ankle he decided to refer me to a clinic that specializes in professional athletes.  Yesterday I actually saw a chiropractor.  He did a very lengthy examination.  It involved watching the way I did certain movements, how I walked, how I went up and down the stairs.  He manipulated my legs into many a positions to test for pain, he tested for strength, and always my least favourite part of an exam – pushing on the sore parts.

Finally we got the the diagnosis.  There were diagrams.  I think I blacked out for parts of it.  To be honest my pain problems are an an extremely emotional issue.  The doctor told me that the issues were complex and the treatment would be multifaceted.

The knee: patella tendinopathy - at a very severe stage

The hip: he didn’t have a specific diagnosis but said that it was a very bad strain and that all of the muscles around the hip were tight and pulled

The treatment is going to involve a lot of strengthening and stretching.  He told me that we need to start at the core and go all the way down to the feet.  Some of my issues involve certain core muscles that aren’t strong enough, my left ham string is too short, sensors in my feet that don’t function normally.  Aside from the strengthening and stretching the doctor needs to help me retrain my body to do all of the regular movements that people do in a day.  For example – sitting, using the stairs, getting out of a chair, walking.

We’re starting with four weeks of treatment with two visits a week and reassess my treatment plan after that.  I’ll see him again tomorrow morning for my first treatment.  We’re going to talk about my training plan then.  The frequency and intensity of training may change or may stay the same, but my stretching and icing routines are definitely going to change.

I know it seems like a no brainer to get treatment and I’m sure some of you are thinking that I should have gotten it sooner.  But like I said, this is all such an emotional issue that I am guilty of sticking my head in the sand and hoping it would go away sometimes.  Plus this is a pretty big financial strain.  Some of the treatment will be covered by Brad’s benefit plan thankfully but we’ll bear some of the cost.  With our very limited income this is going to be hard and we’ll have to juggle quite a bit to make it happen.

Harrrummpphhhh.  That was a mouthful wasn’t it.  I commend you if you’re still reading.  I’ve gotten a lot of reader questions about my joint pain before and I never really had a good answer so I wanted to be able to write this post.  Plus this is going to factor in to my training of course.

Thanks for listening everyone :)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Seek Medical Attention

1. Miz says:

I’m reading and listening and GET THE EMOTIONAL piece too.

#allImsayinghere :-)

2. Emily says:

Oh no, Morgan! :( I’m so sorry that you have to go through all this. I can only imagine how emotionally exhausting it must all be. You’re such an amazingly strong person, that I know you will get through this. I’ll be thinking of you (and Brad!) as you both juggle this. Sending lots of love and light!!

3. Yikes. As much as the diagnosis on your knee isn’t great, does it feel better to at least know where to go from here? I too am super guilty for sticking my head in the sand when something goes wrong – an affliction that I am slowly starting to force myself to overcome (working in health care has definitely opened my eyes there).

I can completely empathize with where you’re coming from in regards to the financial strain that this sort of treatment can bring along. You know that you need it, but STILL (I’d be feeling the EXACT same way). Here’s hoping that the treatment help you big time!

I know it’s supposed to feel better that I have a diagnosis, but I’m still waiting for that relief to come … I hope it does

4. Dre says:

Morgan I am so proud of you for going to those appointments. Sometimes the diagnosis is scarier than the pain. Its how I was with my shoulder and neck. Once I went to the chiropractor and had my inital assessment I was also emotional and missed a lot of it. Seriously, he had to go over everything the next visit. One of the scariest moments was when he told me if I had waited any longer to visit him, he would have been writing up temporary disability papers for me. I am so glad you can be on the right track to pain management and recovery. I have been going for almost 3 years, he has seen me through accidents and I go once a week now so I can continue to work and be active. My advice is do all the homework he recommends. Good luck. xo

yeah I know I can’t wait any longer for treatment, he was being gentle in his explanation but he used words like “permanent” and “degenerative” … oy

thanks for the advice! I’ve already been told that there will be a lot of homework

5. First off, congrats on raising so much through your auction!! You had great prizes lined up and so happy that it went well. Second, injury is no fun at all. I hope that you can take some comfort in having a concrete diagnosis and a plan. For me, that was the biggest thing. It took away a lot of the uncertainty because I had a plan. While yes, there is still uncertainty involved with recovery, etc. I’m 7 weeks post knee surgery and it’s been humbling to have to relearn basic movements, even bending my knee. But our bodies do heal and I hope that the treatment helps. Good luck!!

Christine thanks for your support in the auction yesterday!

Although we’re not talking about surgery yet it is a possibility … but I’m just going to take one step at a time, one appointment at a time

6. Congratulations on the auction success!

As hard as it is to have a diagnosis, I hope that starting the treatment will give you some relief quickly. Good luck.

7. Meredith says:

Morgan,
    It is tough to get a diagnosis like that, especially when you are trying so hard to do something for a good cause (Ride for Heart)
    Don’t let this derail your efforts but take it easier if necessary.
    Ride on,
    Meredith

8. Sue says:

I can totally understand why you’ve been refusing to see a doctor. I’ve been doing the same lately, ignoring the pain, hoping it will disappear by itself. Congrats on finally finding the courage to take that leap! And I really hope you will feel better soon.

9. Going to the doctor is hard, especially when you know something’s not right. Facing it seems like the worst part sometimes. I get it. But at least now you know what’s going on, and can come up with a plan of action.

10. Breanne says:

Hey Morgan,

I can completely relate to your experience. Last year, I severly injured my left hip and SI Joint in the gym – resulting in 11 months agonizing of multiple tests, doctors, treatment methods, MRIs, X-Rays, and Bone Scans. It was a terrible period of time for me; I reached the point where I was unable to move or even sit without pain. And, despite the various treatment methods and practioners, they were ultimately unable to find something definitively wrong.

It ultimately came down to an emotional problem for me too. It was a cyclical issue: as my anxiety increased, which resulted from the pain and frustration, my pain increased as well.

What eventually helped me was taking things gradually. I stopped lamenting over what I couldn’t do because of the pain and instead focused on new low-impact activities – like yoga and swimming. I also found that less traditional methods worked much better for me than the slew of anti-inflammatory pills and rehab treatments I was on. Namely, visiting a Naturopath and investing in Reflexology treatments. (Reflexology did wonders for me).

I know what you’re going through and how frustrating it is, especially being so young and healthy. I hope you find something that helps you.

Take care,
    Breanne

11. Bronwyn says:

Congrats on your fundraising so far! That’s fantastic.

I’m sorry to hear about your hip/knee. That really sucks. And don’t worry I understand about not wanting to seek treatment, and hoping it really isn’t as bad as you think it might be. Injuries are hard to deal with emotionally and financially.

12. congrats on such a successful auction yesterday! :) i’m glad you’re almost at your fundraising goal.

i’m sorry about your diagnosis. that’s a bummer, but it sounds like you found a pretty thorough and patient chiropractor! stick with his plan and hopefully you see improvements!

thanks for participating in the auction Sarah :)

Yes he’s very thorough so far … and I appreciated the diagrams too

13. I’m so sorry about your joint pain. I had some issues with my shoulder and it took four years for it to get properly diagnosed (and I ended up having to have surgery as soon as they figured out what it was — after wasting time and $$ on a chiropractor), so I know how frustrating it can be. Hopefully your plan goes well and you see (and feel) results!

14. Head in the sand is a”go-to” move for a lot of us. It’s one of my all time favs. Glad you are taking the stpes towards recovery. Many well wishes for a speedy one.

15. Paulette says:

So sorry to hear about the diagnosis – good luck with the treatments and hang in there!

16. I’m sorry to hear that you’re going through this. I go through it every day too and it’s something that I wouldn’t wish upon anyone. I too haven’t really gone to the doctor about my issues just simply because I have so many and I’m actually embarrassed…

Thanks for sharing this. It’s made me think about going to the doc.

GOOOOOOOO! Do as I say not as I do ;)

My leg is not long enough to kick your butt all the way at your house … especially with my short hamstring :P

17. so i totally read this about 10 am but have been so crazy busy i didn’t get to comment, but wanted too! I think none of us want to deal with doctors so we just keep hoping things will go away…eventually our intuition kicks in that it’s something more :) I am totally there right now

glad you are finally getting something in place to help!!

18. Hey Morgan,
    It sounds like you’ve found a great Chiro and a great clinic – which one? I’m familiar with most in Toronto as I completed the Athletic Therapy program at York and have volunteered at quite a few clinics to obtain my clinical hours in order to complete the program. All of what you’ve written makes sense. We often think an injury is just injured tissue, but we don’t take into account of HOW it got injured. It can be from training, but 9 times out of 10 it wasn’t the training, it was other underlying muskuloskeletal imbalances (weak hammys, tight quads, weak core) that pulls everything out of alignment. Unfortunately those things are not that easy to diagnose through x-rays and they do take a more complex/through assessment in order to pinpoint the causes. The good news is that treating the cause will allow injuries to heal and to hopefully never come back again. Hugs and good luck!!

19. Dave Leitch says:

It’s not easy. Keep your chin up . Listen to the doctor, and see you soon.

20. Unfortunately, I know exactly what you’re going through. I’ve had ongoing pain in my right shoulder, back, and hip for years, but all of my diagnostics (x-ray and MRI) have come back normal or showing slight changes thaat are not surgical. I’m seeing a chiropractor, too, but still searching for a real diagnosis… I think my next step is to see a rheumatologist.

Best of luck wth your treatment!

21. Pingback: Physical Therapy – The Progress | Life After Bagels

22. Pingback: Merry Christmas – Sport Chek #MyBetter Giveaway | Life After Bagels