My First 5K

Before I get to the race recap – Mark your calendars for Monday May 14th.  I have a SUPER DUPER fundraising auction for my Ride for Heart next Monday.  It’s going to feature some awesome healthy prizes for you to bid on, including:

• Sparkly Soul headbands
  • Booty Camp Fitness prize
  • Simply Bars
  • Chobani
  • Under Armour Bra
  • Magnum package
  • and the GRAND PRIZE auction item – a 6 month supply of Adult Essentials!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I can’t believe I did it.  Yesterday was so much fun.

The start time was at noon so we didn’t have to wake up too early.  I set the alarm for 8am so that I could head out to see some of the full marathon runners go by.  The route runs right by my house.  I always wake up on the morning of the marathon to watch the runners but yesterday it was even more exciting.

After some lemon water and spectating I headed down to the bakery.  We had bagels for breakfast.  Yeah seriously ;)

Then I packed up our bag with our race bibs and pins, snacks (we only ate the carrots ahead of time), and water.  I was very happy that we left two hours ahead of time.  The 5k start was at the finish line (it was a loop), which was at Ontario Place.  It was a mad house.  I didn’t know where to check my bag and I couldn’t even find the 5k starting line.  At this point, I was starting to get panicky and unfortunately none of the volunteers were very helpful :(

We finally got everything taken care of and made it to the start line with fifteen minutes until start time.

Phew!  I stretched, I nervously chatted with Brad, I filmed some videos and before I knew it we were off.

Unfortunately the race organizers didn’t separate the runners from the walkers (the 5k was also a charity walk) and the first kilometer was spent dodging walking groups and baby strollers.  Brad claimed we ran 7k if you add the zig zagging.

The route was beautiful, it went along the waterfront and then looped back on Lakeshore Blvd.  Brad and I did a high five at the half way point when we looped back.

The best part – I ran the entire way!!!!  I didn’t think I was going to be able to do it.  My knees started hurting around the 3km mark.  My hips thankfully were okay.  I had done some major hip stretching in the days leading up to the race (especially because I had tweaked my right hip on my bike last week.)  When I told Brad my knees had started to hurt he asked if we should walk and rest them but I decided to keep going.  It wasn’t sharp pain, just achey pain that I was familiar with so I knew I could keep going for another 2km.

My finish time = 32:03 … WHOA!  I didn’t have any time goals in mind but I kept assuming that it was going to be around the 40-45 minute mark.  Brad was a few seconds behind because he was nice enough to film my finish.

I’m so glad we did this together.  It was more fun than I could have imagined.  Brad ran with me the entire race even though he had a training run that was much faster than that.

At the finish line I wanted to see if I could find the medic tent for some ice but it was too busy.  We grabbed some food and drink and of course a cup of Chobani.

Getting my medal at the end was AWESOME!  You should have seen the half and full marathon medals.  Brad was drooling over the full marathon one, it was huge!  All of a sudden he really wants to get in to racing ;) .  I’m not so sure our doctor would clear us (especially me) for marathon training.  But I will say this – there’s a pretty darn good chance we’ll be doing another 5k.

After getting home we finished the afternoon with a celebratory dinner.  Last week we ate super clean and turned down beers at an event so we would be properly prepared for the race.  It was so good to grab a beer, burgers, and poutine to celebrate.

MMMmmmm we scarfed this down.

Thanks again Chobani for the race entries.  If it wasn’t for you  I don’t know that I would have ever entered a race.

And thanks to all of my friends and family and fellow bloggers/YouTubers and readers for your support.  I can’t believe how many “good luck” messages I got over the weekend and yesterday morning.  It definitely helped to calm my nerves.

Have I convinced anyone to try a 5k for their first time?  To the experienced runners – what’s your next race?

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to My First 5K

1. Carly says:

Congrats on your first 5k!! Racing is addictive and so much fun :)

2. Bronwyn says:

Congrats!!! That’s an awesome time, glad you had so much fun. :D And what gorgeous weather for a race!

the weather was amazing … so perfect

actually in a pure rookie move – I forgot to bring sunscreen and my neck got burnt!

3. This is SO awesome, Morgan! Kudos on a race well run! It’s a shame that the event was so disorganized but your time is great and it sounds like you had fun :) I also LOVE your after-race meal, ha ha.

Mmm, poutine.

I’m proud of you, girl!

thank you! now I wonder if I will be as daring as you and try the 10k … me thinks not yet

4. Dude – that is an awesome time, especially for your first one. You should definitely be proud of yourself. And I glad you had fun. That’s the most important part.

thank you!!!!!

t’was fun … once I got the panicking done – chaos makes me rashy :P

5. Allison says:

Soo proud of you! Congratulations! ;) Brad was so sweet to run with you and film you at the finish line. It was a beautiful day for your first race!

he’s used to the ridiculousness of my blogging needs by now … so I shall keep him

thanks!

6. Dad says:

Congrats to the both of you. Tell Brad he’s allowed to smile in the photos.

7. Congrats Morgan, you’re awesome :) And that poutine looks so good, I think I need to get some ASAP!

8. Congrats! I’m glad you enjoyed it! I had the same problem at my 5K over the weekend — the first mile was spent dodging walkers!

the starting line was a little overwhelming but oh well, it probably kept me from darting out too fast

9. PS. You should consider doing the Toronto Island Tri at the end of August… ;)

why are you talking so crazy?

• You’re doing a 75k bike ride and you just ran a 5k, this is totally doable! And then I would have someone to do it with, haha :)

I mentioned it to Brad last night, this is how it went

me: “hey want to do a triathlon”
          him: “why do you want to?”
          me: “well you know Callie?”
          him: “no”
          me: “yes you do, Callie”
          him: “oh wait yeah, the scientist”
          me: “close enough, anyways Callie left a link to a triathlon on my blog today”
          him: “hunh”

10. donna weaver says:

Yay Mo and Brad!!!!!

11. I ❤ 2 Eat says:

Congrats on finishing your first 5K! I’m running my first on Saturday and was looking for some inspiration. I also think it will take me about 40 – 45 minutes to run the whole thing, but I think realistically it will be a run/walk. But I just want to finish this one – that’s the goal!

that was my only goal as well, just to cross the finish line …

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

12. Nancy says:

You did it buddy!!! So proud of you!! I get way too nervous with races and I have decided I just can’t do them anymore lol

13. Katy Widrick says:

YAY — well done!

14. So proud of you and love that you rocked your No Meat Athlete shirt =)

15. Laura says:

Congrats, lady! xo

16. Kierston says:

Awesome job!!! Love the post celebratory meal! ;)

Doing my first 10K race in a couple of weeks! Super looking forward to it!

Have a great day!

17. Congrats, Morgan! That is an awesome time for your first race!
    My next race is a 10k, less than two weeks away. Eek! My training hasn’t been going so well, as I’ve been dealing with some random injuries. Oh well, we will see how it will go.
    One day I want to try poutine. Just put it on my bucket list. ;)

no cheese curds in your neck of the woods?

from what I hear, training never goes as planned … but YOU WILL DO GREAT!!!

18. Isn’t a great feeling to finish a race? Great job and congrats!

BTW – love you shirt!! :)

oh it feels great … too good maybe, I want to do it again hahaha

thanks – I need more of these shirts I think!

19. Tammy says:

yeah to both of you….very proud of you guys….I knew you could do it…..xoxoxoxo

20. Yayayay!!! Congratulations!

5k’s are really fun. I’ve done four and I’m sure I’ll do a million more because they’re not a crazy distance and we have tons of great ones in my area. I’d love to do a 10k some day but that’s not really something I can think about as I prepare to give birth in the next couple weeks haha.

no barefoot racing this pregnancy :( Brad is sad hahaha

I can’t wait for the new baby! Him and Avery are going to be BFF’s

• Apologize to Brad for me. haha

The optimum running time for me this pregnancy was winter and we all know, barefoot running and Missouri winters just don’t mesh, like at all. Once the warm weather came it was too late, I’m a fatty now!

21. Congratulations! That’s so inspiring! I definitely want to run a 5k at some point!

Well done!

22. WAY TO GO!!!! So fantastic, and great time, too! I’m impressed you ran the whole thing first go-round, an so sweet of Brad to stay with you and film your finish :) The eats look good, too. My race day mentality regarding bagels, burgers, fries is: “It’s okay, I ran a race today.” Congratulations on your achievement — here’s to the next one!