My First 5K

Before I get to the race recap – Mark your calendars for Monday May 14th.  I have a SUPER DUPER fundraising auction for my Ride for Heart next Monday.  It’s going to feature some awesome healthy prizes for you to bid on, including:

  • Sparkly Soul headbands
  • Booty Camp Fitness prize
  • Simply Bars
  • Chobani
  • Under Armour Bra
  • Magnum package
  • and the GRAND PRIZE auction item – a 6 month supply of Adult Essentials!!!!!!!


I can’t believe I did it.  Yesterday was so much fun.

The start time was at noon so we didn’t have to wake up too early.  I set the alarm for 8am so that I could head out to see some of the full marathon runners go by.  The route runs right by my house.  I always wake up on the morning of the marathon to watch the runners but yesterday it was even more exciting.

After some lemon water and spectating I headed down to the bakery.  We had bagels for breakfast.  Yeah seriously 😉

Then I packed up our bag with our race bibs and pins, snacks (we only ate the carrots ahead of time), and water.  I was very happy that we left two hours ahead of time.  The 5k start was at the finish line (it was a loop), which was at Ontario Place.  It was a mad house.  I didn’t know where to check my bag and I couldn’t even find the 5k starting line.  At this point, I was starting to get panicky and unfortunately none of the volunteers were very helpful :(

We finally got everything taken care of and made it to the start line with fifteen minutes until start time.

Phew!  I stretched, I nervously chatted with Brad, I filmed some videos and before I knew it we were off.

Unfortunately the race organizers didn’t separate the runners from the walkers (the 5k was also a charity walk) and the first kilometer was spent dodging walking groups and baby strollers.  Brad claimed we ran 7k if you add the zig zagging.

The route was beautiful, it went along the waterfront and then looped back on Lakeshore Blvd.  Brad and I did a high five at the half way point when we looped back.

The best part – I ran the entire way!!!!  I didn’t think I was going to be able to do it.  My knees started hurting around the 3km mark.  My hips thankfully were okay.  I had done some major hip stretching in the days leading up to the race (especially because I had tweaked my right hip on my bike last week.)  When I told Brad my knees had started to hurt he asked if we should walk and rest them but I decided to keep going.  It wasn’t sharp pain, just achey pain that I was familiar with so I knew I could keep going for another 2km.

My finish time = 32:03 … WHOA!  I didn’t have any time goals in mind but I kept assuming that it was going to be around the 40-45 minute mark.  Brad was a few seconds behind because he was nice enough to film my finish.

I’m so glad we did this together.  It was more fun than I could have imagined.  Brad ran with me the entire race even though he had a training run that was much faster than that.

At the finish line I wanted to see if I could find the medic tent for some ice but it was too busy.  We grabbed some food and drink and of course a cup of Chobani.

Getting my medal at the end was AWESOME!  You should have seen the half and full marathon medals.  Brad was drooling over the full marathon one, it was huge!  All of a sudden he really wants to get in to racing ;).  I’m not so sure our doctor would clear us (especially me) for marathon training.  But I will say this – there’s a pretty darn good chance we’ll be doing another 5k.

After getting home we finished the afternoon with a celebratory dinner.  Last week we ate super clean and turned down beers at an event so we would be properly prepared for the race.  It was so good to grab a beer, burgers, and poutine to celebrate.

MMMmmmm we scarfed this down.

Thanks again Chobani for the race entries.  If it wasn’t for you  I don’t know that I would have ever entered a race.

And thanks to all of my friends and family and fellow bloggers/YouTubers and readers for your support.  I can’t believe how many “good luck” messages I got over the weekend and yesterday morning.  It definitely helped to calm my nerves.

Have I convinced anyone to try a 5k for their first time?  To the experienced runners – what’s your next race?

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *