Never Say Never – I’m Running A 5K

And by running I mean probably run-walking or walk-running or waunning.  (Not even close to being as good as “Brangelina” as far as word mergers go is it?)

Never say never!  Justin Beiber you wise soul.  I’m fairly certain I said that I’d never run a 5k, but I am.  I am incredibly excited and nervous.  It might seem like a measly distance to some, but for me it’s a lot.

Over the past 5-8 years I’ve been plagued by some fairly serious joint pain.  The truth is, I don’t talk about my joint pain on the blog often.  It’s a pretty sensitive and depressing subject for me.  Don’t worry, I’ve seen my doctor and had extensive testing done.

Although I love running, I’ve never done more than a kilometer or two without walking.  I have a path by my house (that I just calculated the distance for) and it’s 5k.  In the summer I regularly incorporate it into my workouts as a walk/run exercise.

I always thought races were off the table for me.  I could never run the entire distance.  Last week Chobani contact me with an offer to sponsor me and/or a reader in the Goodlife Marathon and the Sporting Life 10k.  Obviously I was interested in neither and was happy to pass the entry on to a winning reader.  But then I got an email back saying that Goodlife Marathon entry could be for the full, half, or 5k distance.

Hmmmmmm 5k you say?

I was in.

I wanted to race, I’ve always wanted to race.  The starting line, the finish line, the race bib.  I wanted all of it, even if it meant walking.  Heck there’s nothing wrong with walking is there?!?!

The date of the race is Sunday May 6th and here’s my first training run:

I’m going to be keeping you updated over the next two weeks with my training. If you have any advice for me PLEASE leave it.  Also please leave me stories about your first race (blog posts links much appreciated!)

One last important tidbit: the WINNER of the entry to the Sporting Life 10K is:

Janice!!!

This entry was posted in Fitness and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Never Say Never – I’m Running A 5K

1. So exciting! Good luck! Running is terrible on my joints too, so I usually avoid it. But this May, I am running two 5Ks, and I have to start training this week. I’ve ran 5Ks and 10Ks before, and my biggest advice is take walking breaks when needed, even if it’s just for 30 seconds. You don’t want to get too stubborn (ahem..like me) and injure yourself.

2. If I can run 5K you can DEFINITELY run 5K! YOU CAN DO IT!

I appreciate your use of capitals … it makes me feel like you’re yelling at me: “YOOUUUUUU CAN DOOOOOOO IT!!!!!!!”

3. I believe in you girl! I just asked the wild world of Twitter and Facebook for advice leading up to my first ever 10km race this Sunday. I’m going to post all of the responses on my blog tomorrow – maybe their words of wisdom will be helpful for you too!

Best of luck – I know you can do it!

yessss I saw your FB post and obviously had nothing to add to it hahaha

GOOD LUCK to you this weekend :D

4. Yay!! Congrats on deciding to do your first 5k! My only advice resist the temptation to over-hydrate. There are never enOugh porta-pottys around…

Thank you so much!! I’ve wanted to the Sporting Life 10k for so long! Fast & downhill! I guess I better get training…

that’s good advice … I always have to use the facilities when I’m on the stationary bike for a long time sooooo

5. Yay!! I am very excited for you! I’m not an expert by any means but if you need anything I’d be happy to help!!

Are you running it alone?

thanks Sam!

no no not alone, with Brad … and he says he’ll go at my pace but I have a feeling once he gets to the starting line he’s going to get quite competitive :P

6. Weeeee! Good luck and keep us posted. Sending positive energy your way!

7. Yay, I hope you’ll enjoy your race! I did my very first race, which was also a 5k, almost exactly one year ago. Here’s the recap: http://sueintraining.wordpress.com/2011/05/08/race-recap-munich-airport-5k/
    This year, I’m going to do the 10k distance at the same race. That’s farther than I’ve ever run, so I’m a little nervous.
    Whatever happens on race day, just enjoy the experience and soak in the atmosphere.

8. Good for you! I ran my first 5k last spring and had so much fun that I ran 2 more before the summer was over. My best piece of advice: It’s okay to walk. It’s not a marathon and chances are good you’ll be running with people who have as little experience as you do. Listen to your body and take walking breaks if you need to, you can still get an great time at the end.

9. I think you’ll have fun! The one and only race I did was a 5k (here’s the recap: http://guessimarunner.com/2011/01/04/first-night-5k-recap/ ) and it was really fun. I was underprepared for it because I kind of lost my motivation to run a few weeks before the race, but I was running with a couple of friends so I had a good time. I set a goal before the race (to run the entire thing, even if it was slow) and felt so awesome when I met the goal! I gave up on running quite some time ago (never liked it), but rereading my recap kind of makes me want to start up again.

10. Morgan– we are so proud & inspired by you! What a great first step. The 5K is a very manageable distance and you’ll be in great company. We can’t wait to read along with your training these next few weeks and have you as our guest at the race. Hopefully this will be the first of many finish lines you’ll be crossing. Good luck to you, and Janice!

11. Dre says:

very proud of you, maybe next year I will join you! i am trying to want to do races and such, everyone always says: sign up for this or that and you will be motivated to train for it. Maybe its just nerves, but man, I have never thought I would want to run, bike or anything….maybe I should get hypnotized into wanting to do a marathon and then all I will want to do is train? haha. Oh and I love the “wuanning”, its what I usually do…could we also say rulking…hrmm…maybe not.

uhhhh I never said I was doing it more than once, hahaha … just kidding :P and I will remember you wrote this when I am trying to finagle you into joining me

12. very very cool! i hope you enjoy the experience!!

i’m doing my first race ever this weekend – an 8k! i haven’t stuck to my training plan quite as well as i should have, so i know that if all conditions are right, i CAN run the whole thing, but if anything if off, i’ll probably be run/walking too. i don’t care though! i am so excited! :)

13. Yay that is so exciting!!! I’ve never run a race either, and I think a 5k would be the perfect distance :) . And if you walk, that’s awesome too…just the fact that you’re out there is great in itself!

14. Geneviève says:

This is so exciting! I am running the Goodlife Half that same day! :) I’ve done about a dozen races and my best piece of advice is to not go out fast! It’s very easy to get swept into the crowd when your adrenaline is pumping. Stick to your run-walk-run plan and it will be a success! I can’t wait to hear how it goes!

15. Runtothefinish says:

There is no shame in walking! You have a solid fitness base so if you allow yourself to slow down your run PAC you might find you can go farther too, I see that a lot with new runners that I run with

16. Natalie says:

Yay! I’m so excited for you! I will be running the Sporting Life 10k and it will be my very first race too! The distance scares me a bit but it’s downhill so I’m hoping it will be nothing but fun!

17. Pingback: Motivation Monday: Staying Fit When Your Family is Sick | Fitness Cheerleader

18. How exciting about your first race! I started running last July in preparation for a 5k that I ran in September, the Yorkville Run. I had so much fun and was instantly hooked on races. I just ran my first 10k yesterday, the Toronto Yonge St. 10k and I am running my first half marathon on May 6th in the Goodlife Half Marathon! (Maybe see you there!!) My advice would be to not do anything new on race day – make sure you’ve tested out your outfit, shoes, and pre-run food during training!
    I didn’t write a full post on my 5k but I did for my 10k – http://lilsnowflakes.wordpress.com/2012/04/22/race-recap-the-toronto-yonge-street-10k/ Good luck and have fun!!!

19. Maria says:

Thank you sooo much for sharing this with us! I’m new to your blog and am so anxious to follow you as you prepare for your 5K. How exciting! I’ve never been in a race before but would love to someday. I also have knee issues so I can definitely relate. The video was a great touch btw…keep posting them :) Have fun!!

Hi Maria! Welcome :)

Glad you liked the video. Maybe you can sign up and train for a race too sometime in the future. As soon as I wrapped my head around the fact that walking is okay it didn’t seen so daunting anymore.

20. Sarah says:

I am right there with you on the run/walk. I’ve been “running” for years and I cannot, for the life of me, do a 5K. I so want to. Every year I say I will. Maybe your recap of the race will give me the courage…

21. Pingback: » Highlights: Running Season » Relishments