Tackle A Nagging Task

I finished reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin last night.  It’s pretty overdue.  Overdue by about eight dollars on Sir Bradley’s library card.  (Suckaaaaaaa!)

Last night Gretchen Rubin could have been sitting in my kitchen.  She could have waited for the right moment.  She could have leapt up in joy and said, “I told you so!”  If you recall, one of The Happiness Project’s “to do’s” is to tackle nagging tasks.  Take a peak at this nagging task list.

Do you notice line 7: MAKE HAIR APPOINTMENT?  Well Gretchen Rubin, you are right, I should have gotten a hair cut.  Do you want to know why Gretchen Rubin.  Because I burnt my hair last night.

Yup, the occupational hazzards of blogging.  Do you want to see what picture I was taking when the burnt hair incident happened, Gretchen Rubin?

Just some basic veggies, in a blurry photo.  I didn’t have time to focus before I caught a whiff of my error.

I was throwing the veggies onto some whole wheat pasta with store bought alfredo sauce.  It was an alternate to the frozen lasagna we sometimes buy.

Brad thought it tasted delicious.  All I could smell was burnt hair.

Here’s today’s questions:  Have you ever smelled burnt hair?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Tackle A Nagging Task

1. Ha! I’m sorry! You should just burn all your hair, and then you won’t have to pay for a haircut. Sounds like a plan.

I need to ask my mom to send me that book (she’s a librarian), since you suggested I read it like five years ago. I need it right now, I think. :-)

2. Sara Hamil says:

Uhg, yes I have smelled burnt hair and no, it ain’t nice!

That book sounds like a good read. I’ll be sure to check it out! I’m in the middle of going through an interactive jounral-type book called “How to be an Explorer of the World”. It is also awesome and highly recommended :)

3. kalin says:

i have a kitten (well, she’s more or less a cat at this point…) and the firs time I lit a candle with her around she tried to see what it was. i didn’t pay attention until i smelled… yup, the cat, burning.
    thankfully it just got a tiny bit of her fur! but it smelled terrible! i don’t light candles anywhere near her now-learned my lesson!

4. Well, what matters most is that you’re ok! :) Burnt hair is the worst smell, its pretty gross.

5. I couldn’t help but laugh, I’m sorry you burnt your hair!

I’m reading the Happiness Project right now, and it is really resonating with me. I’m feeling energized and want to try some of her tasks, I think I’ll make a list of my lingering to-do’s that I keep avoiding to tackle this weekend!!

6. Oh my goodness, burnt hair is the worst! It happens so fast and the smell is unlike anything else.

I used to have lots of candles in my room in highshcool. Once I bent down and my braid swung through a flame…I think my mom was at my bedroom door in 10 seconds flat screaming “I smell burning hair!” :) Looking back, candles were probably a bad idea for a 16 yr old.

7. Oh no! See, that’s just one more reason to keep my hair short ;-)

8. Oh goodness! Burnt hair is the WORST smell ever. Very pungent. Maybe you should follow my lead and just friggin CHOP it off. It’s ballsy.

9. Burnt hair is the worst! I’m sorry! :(

The pasta dish, otherwise sounds good?

Aw. :(

10. Oh yeah, I’ve smelled burnt hair. The first time was in 6th grade when a science experiment blew up and burnt my bangs. The second time was when my cat jumped over a candle and the hair on his tail caught on fire. He was fine but the smell was awful.

11. hahahaha – what a great question of the day. i have smelled burnt hair and it’s gross. i hope you didn’t mess up your ‘do too badly!

12. donna weaver says:

it’s not the first time you’ve burnt your hair – remember how long it was when you were little. I lifted you up to the stovetop to smell something that was in a pot – don’t remember what- and your braid swung onto the burner. In retrospect – probably not one of my brightest mothering moments. But that also reminded me of the time when we were at Aunt Jan’s for Christmas and the candles on her wicker shelf unit started the whole thing on fire. Also not a great smell and also not one of the smartest moments in time.

13. Jenny says:

YES, there are few smells worse than burnt hair. YUCK. Kids in my science class in 8th grade used to think it was funny to put strands of hair on the lab burners. Oh the immaturity of middle school boys…

14. I really enjoyed that book!

Re: burnt hair, mine gets stuck in the back of the blow dryer from time to time. I hate that smell!

15. Alissa says:

I use to work a job where I had to turn on different gas values then go and light over 100 tiki torches with a blow torch. On one of my first days they told me I had to use a golf cart to get around, well I had long hair and it was a very windy day. I pulled up to one of the first ones, lit it, then moved on to the next all while driving and holding the flame. It did not end well and I burned off a huge chunk of the left side of my hair. To top it all off my boss was watching the whole thing. I walked for the rest of the time I had that job.

16. Pingback: It’s A Sunshiney Day | Life After Bagels

17. Lindsay Ann says:

Have I ever! I once light my hair up with a lighter while on a first date. The damage was extreme and the smell was unmistakeable. The guy never noticed.

I skipped dinner and went straight to dessert – in bed and without said boy.

I do think that looks delicious! Did you cut up all those veggies or is it a bag of frozen?

18. Sara says:

Holy cow I’m glad you’re OK!! I have burned hair before and it’s seriously one of the most disgusting smells, and you’re right that it literally just sticks with you for hours. I also once ironed some shirt that was apparently dirtier than I thought it was, and something about the heat + sweat on the item made this really nasty smell that literally haunted me for years after that. As someone who has a very low threshold for vomiting, gross smells really, really bug me. I was on a med once that caused nausea, and I definitely straight up vomited when I smelled something nasty on my way home from work. OK these stories just got really gross, sorry! LOL!

19. haya says:

yikes! burnt hair is a terrible terrible smell. there are a few of them that you just can’t get out of your nose, even long after the smell is gone and no one else detects it.

loved the happiness project! just a note on the overdue library book though, TPL has started suspending accounts with overdue fines after 6 weeks or something. won’t let you do anything until you’ve paid the fine :(